Friday, February 02, 2007

"Christian" Dogma Vs. Reality

I've been told to start 'picking on someone my own size" and stop 'harassing a child". I'd better do that I guess before the thought police come after me. How dare I contradict a Christian anyway? After all, Christian dogma ALWAYS overrules reality every time. Just ask George W. Bush & Company!

To explain, here's an enlightening string of letters to the editor in the Juneau (Alaska) Empire recently. The oldest is on top, my own short & sweet one (I thought) is third down, and my accuser's letter is at the bottom (Students' last names omitted to protect the young):

1/12/07:
"Who has right to stop happiness?

I'm a seventh grader at Floyd Dryden Middle School. I see that you have been discussing gay health insurance.

Well, for one, I don't think it should even be an issue. A person who is gay is a person like everyone else. For example if a man works for the state and pays for him and his wife's insurance, then why on earth is it any different for a gay man or women that works for the state? Why can't they have the same health insurance plan? I absolutely think it's so wrong that we have to go about saying gay people aren't normal or are different - because gay people are just as much a person as you and me. It's a matter of choice.

I have another issue to bring up: gay marriage. I think that it's totally fine. If you think it's not OK, because God intended man and women to get married, well you also have to think about God intended people to be happy. Who are we to say somebody can't be happy? If two gay people want to adopt kids, I think it's a good idea. If they are two loving and caring adults who can give that child a secure and safe home, then why not? I'm sure that kid will have a better life there than where they did before.

Jessica
Juneau"

1/24/07:
"Bible doesn't sanction same-sex marriage

I go to Floyd Dryden Middle School. I am writing a response to Jessica's letter in the Jan. 12 Juneau Empire.

I am a friend of hers, and being her friend, I feel that I should be honest. I disagree with her in most ways. I believe in God and that the Bible is His word to us. The Bible says that gay marriages are wrong. Jessica, however, said the Bible does not say that.

God does want us to be happy, but if smoking pot or doing drugs makes people happy, does that mean we should do it?

Among the scriptures that are proof of God's will is Leviticus 18:22, which says, "Do not lie with a male as you would a woman; it is an abomination." And the Bible refers to gay marriages as a vile passion, as in Romans 1:26-27.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but everyone is entitled to his or her opinions.

Kelsey
Juneau"

1/28/07:
"U.S. was not made a Christian nation

I commend Kelsey (Jan. 24 Juneau Empire) for having the courage of convictions to write a letter to the editor at such a tender age. We sorely need a strongly involved citizenry in our nation these days. Nevertheless, at the risk of possibly offending those who believe as Kelsey does, I also want encourage this young person to keep an open mind, and in particular to pay very close attention in civics and social studies classes.

I wish to point out that contrary to the opinions of some Christians, the United States is not a Christian nation. Ours is a country of many religions, as well as no religions, agnostics and even anti-religionists. Religion is covered in the very First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which we all treasure, that states in part: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

This means our country is a "secular" nation - meaning no religion, Christian or otherwise. So, by law it really does not matter what the Christian Bible, or any other religious belief may hold. No religion is sanctioned in our country and our citizens are free to practice whatever religion they desire, or none at all. The Bible does not apply, no matter how much any particular religion may wish that it did.

That is a fact - and is only fair to all our citizens, a great many of whom are not Christians. This was recognized by our founding fathers and boldly enshrined in that very First Amendment to our nation's Constitution.

Erik Lie-Nielsen
Juneau"


2/2/07:
"Nation founded by Christians

Eric Lie-Nielson should pick on someone his own size, and stop harassing a child who stands up for our Christian United States.

I am writing in response to the letter, "U.S. was not made a Christian Nation," by Lie-Nielson. This nation was based on Christian values and I applaud Kelsey, who should write a book instead.

Remember, Benjamin Franklin who stated when he wrote a letter to the Ministry of France, "I have lived, sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of truth, that God governs in the affairs of men and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it possible that an empire can rise without his aid?"

Also, John Adams, our second president, took for serious that the Bible was the only law book in this country and that every member should regulate his conduct by the sayings of the Bible. By the way, our founding fathers said, "The right to freedom being the gift of the Almighty ... The rights of the colonist as Christians ... may be best understood by reading and carefully studying the institutions of the Great Law Giver and head of the Christian Church, which are to be found clearly and promulgated in the New Testament."

So, you see this great American Country was based and founded by Christians. Even the Muslims respect the words of Jesus Christ in the Koran. So, who is Erik Lie-Nielson to judge a child who is writing letters to the editors in such a adult way. I say to Kelsey to keep writing and God Bless Stark and our beautiful Christian United States of America.

Alfredo Velazquez
Juneau"

I wish I could say I appreciate Mr. Valazquez' corrections, but really, I don't. In fact, Mr. Valazquez' corrections could use some corrections of their own. For starters, Ben Franklin was not a Christian. Old Ben was a "Diest" which while 'god-fearing', is most definitely non-Christian. Several of our founding fathers were non-Christians, and don't forget that old First Amendment - the very first one, mind you which specifically says this is NOT the "Christian United States of America.

Unfortunately, Mr. Valazquez falls victim to the very common Christian malady of believing facts are what they say and think they are, hang a bunch of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may post anything you wish in comments. I guarantee all will be read. But, due to personal attacks and deliberate flaming, I will not agree to publish all comments.